Thursday, January 9, 2014

Gym. Tan. Laundry?

Things you learn working at a gym:

10)  Yes, some women do roll out of bed looking gorgeous, and even in ratty sweats they will still look radiant.
And yes, it is revolting.

9)  I am not one of those women.
Don't get me wrong, on a good day, using instagram filters and a flattering  pose I think I post a solid 7. However, 8 am in gym shorts and last nights make-up is another matter entirely.

8)  You are never too old to act like a bumbling idiot in front of an attractive man.
At 25 you think you are over that blushing, stammering stage-until your making a smoothie for blue-eyes and you forget to put the lid on...

7)  Stereotypes about fit people are often false.
As much as you would like to blame your body on  your busy lifestyle, many of the most fit people I have seen hold jobs and/or go to school. Don't be so quick to write off the guys as "meat heads" just because they're big-some of them might be smarter and more educated than you are.

6) Sometimes the stereotypes are true.
These guys can talk for hours about protein and supplements, but don't expect them to know who Donne is. Or the current president for that matter.

5)  Men really don't change.
The guys watching the girls on the treadmill or the squat rack wear the same face, whether they are 16 or 65.

4) Not everyone should wear yoga pants.
At some point you have to look at people and wonder "how did they look at themselves in the mirror an walk out the door?" I'm not saying that all body types are not beautiful, but you should know what yours is and dress accordingly. To the size 14 in a size 4, you are not rocking it. You are not "owning your body", your body is owning you.
(To be fair, I have done this. I will grab my tiny sister's clothes when I have no clean laundry, and I am properly ashamed).

3)  Gyms should have an age requirement
Or at least stamp the hand of minors. Just because he can grow a beard and has a cute butt does not mean he is over 18. The horrified feeling when he walks in with his class of '14 sweater on will haunt you forever.

The two most important things working at a gym has taught me are:

2) It's never too late to change. I see people into their 70's hitting the weights and staying healthy. If they can do it then there is no excuse for me not to.
   It's not about being skinny or even looking good, it's about making time to be active because it feels good and keeps you young. I no longer view fitness as simply something to make me lean and attractive, but something that I can do to make myself healthier, stronger and more energetic.

1) No two bodies are the same.
Even fit bodies are different, so stop comparing yours to someone else's! You can do all the butt lifts you want, but if it's not in your genetics you will never have ScarJo's curves. Often times women that have a body you would kill for are still insecure. Be comfortable in your own skin, push yourself to be your best and be satisfied. Getting down to your goal weight or level of fitness will not make you love yourself-if you don't love yourself now you never will.



Happy New Years!

No comments:

Post a Comment